Edelweiss Broking Limited is a subsidiary of the Edelweiss Group, a significant financial services corporation situated in Mumbai. The Edelweiss Group was founded in 1995, and Edelweiss Broking Ltd was founded in 2008, with more than 1 million clients.
The group, like any other startup, has had many challenges, particularly in the first three years of its existence. However, the founders, Rashesh Shah and Venkatachalam Ramaswamy, never lost hope and thought that the day would come when they would be able to recover.
Today, the firm serves a wide range of clients for their financial needs, and in addition to full-service stockbroking, they also offer investment consulting services, high-level research and analysis, and asset management services.
They also have a huge network of sub-brokers, and the company is well-known for providing high-quality services to clients and improving the working environment for its staff.
We will highlight exclusively to our readers in this Edelweiss review article that will serve as their guiding manual and will allow them to study the Edelweiss Broking Ltd from beginning to end.
The topics covered here include Rashesh Shah’s inspiring story, Edelweiss brokerage charges and other Edelweiss charges for trading and investing with them, what are the benefits and drawbacks of investing and trading with this retail stock-broking firm, and what other products and services they offer aside from stockbroking, among others.
How Rashesh Shah and Venkatachalam Started Edelweiss and How It Succeeded
Two ICICI Bank employees had the idea to launch their own financial services company, which they did in 1995 with the establishment of Edelweiss Group. Edelweiss is a flower that grows after going through a difficult time, and the same thing has happened to the company.
Rashesh Shah, the son of a typical Gujarati businessman with his stationery shop, earned a B.Sc. in statistics, a diploma from the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, and an MBA from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.
He used his expertise as an analyst at ICICI Bank to assess corporate balance sheets, their profitability, and the elements that drive profits. He also had the opportunity to meet several significant business players and CEOs, from whom he gained entrepreneurial inspiration. He was able to persuade his father to take out a mortgage on their home, allowing him to establish Edelweiss.
However, as their business grew, the market began to decline, and the odds were stacked against them. Again, the years 2001-2003 were not favorable to Shah’s fate, but they managed to keep the same spirit and firmly felt that those who fall must rise up.
The business began to build up in 2003, and it has never stopped since. They not only recovered from their difficulties, but also continued to develop new products, features, and services over time, establishing themselves as a leader in the financial services market.
Mr. Narayan Murthi, the CEO of Infosys, gave Shah a crucial piece of advice: “Never distribute equity cheaply, and develop a company that shares advantages with employees.”
Furthermore, Edelweiss was the first in India to introduce the concept of Employee Stock Option Plans, which may be used as a cost-cutting strategy during market downturns and a boon during market upturns.
The company offers a wide range of financial services, as well as investment advice, through its highly qualified team of specialists and analysts. They operate on the BSE, NSE, NCDEX, MCX, and AMFI exchanges and have over 475 offices in 200 locations across India.
Edelweiss provides trading and services in a variety of asset classes, including stock, derivatives, mutual funds, currency, commodities, ETFs, debt, and initial public offerings (IPOs). They are an AMFI-registered mutual fund distributor. They’ve also been named Best Broker by several reputable organizations, setting the bar for many other retail full-service stockbrokers.
Despite being a full-service broker, Edelweiss Demat also offers its clients and traders the option of choosing a budget brokerage plan. Investors are advised with a set of stock portfolios customized depending on their risk-taking ability, the term of investment, and the goal of investment using PMS services and other tools.
Properties of Edelweiss Demat Broking Limited’s Trading and Investing
1. Their retail broking services and products encompass practically all asset classes, including equity, mutual funds, derivatives, commodities, debt, and initial public offerings (IPOs).
2. Their high-speed trading platform allows investors to trade and invest from anywhere and at any time.
3. Because the company is a member of the Edelweiss group, a major financial services provider, investors can make use of the group’s additional products and services.
4. The stock advising professionals provide their clients with excellent recommendations and insights on which they can entirely rely, and no investor has ever been disappointed.
5. They consistently aim to outperform the industry benchmark, with reports indicating an upward trend practically every time.
6. They offer their clients both online and offline support, as well as assistance over the phone or in person, which is something that many other online brokerage firms lack.
7. The company is customer-centric since they believe that they can only grow if their customers grow, thus they assist clients with concrete suggestions and answers, as well as individualized portfolio management services.
8. They’ve created trading systems for different categories of customers, such as active traders and regular investors.
Products, Services, Software, and Features of Edelweiss
This multi-billion-dollar financial services corporation offers a wide range of products and services to meet the needs of investors and traders alike.
1. Offerings: This company’s products include equity, commodity, currency, options, futures, mutual funds, and insurance trading. The company places a premium on customer happiness, and as a result, they strive to reach their financial objectives in collaboration with their clients. They provide customized goods to satisfy the needs of each investment.
2. Services: A retail full-service broker’s services include Demat account, Trading, Intraday, IPO, Stock Tips, Robo Advisory, trading educational training, and Portfolio Management Services. They are well-known for providing high-quality services to their consumers and for establishing and maintaining positive relationships with them.
3. Research and Advisory: They provide IPO research reports, top selections, fundamental and analytical reports, daily market news, and monthly study reports based on their extensive examination of company stocks. They also provide phone and in-person support to their clients who are not comfortable with full online trading.
4. Edelweiss.in: This web-based platform is developed with everyday investors and traders in mind who desire a simple, quick, and comfortable trading experience.
5. Terminal X3: This is a desktop-based trading platform that includes charting and analytical capabilities as well as a high-speed trading experience. The platform is compatible with practically all browsers and offers real-time updates as well as tailored advisory services.
6. Mobile Trader App: With a 4.2-star rating, this app offers next-generation trading and investment experience at high speeds, anywhere and at any time.
7. Investology: This is a platform where investors may read value-based articles authored by their panel of stock-market specialists to acquire insight into market terminologies and trends.
8. Small case: It is an Edelweiss thematic portfolio service focused on a single theme that is supplied to its clients. They build a 20-stock portfolio based on a theme, such as the government’s new digitization effort or sectoral movements such as banking.
9. Portfolio Organizer, Small case, and Guided Portfolio Services are all part of the Guided Investing category. Portfolio Organizer allows you to consolidate your portfolios and track their performance all in one place. The guided portfolio assists in the creation of portfolios depending on the client’s needs and financial objectives.
Edelweiss Review: Advantages and Disadvantages
The benefits and drawbacks of investing and trading with Edelweiss Broking Ltd are listed below.
1. The brokerage plan Lite offers a flat brokerage charge that is less expensive than discount broking businesses, which is a rare offer from a retail full-service broking firm.
2. They offer cutting-edge technology-based trading platforms, and its app has a 4.2-star rating for its speedy and simple features.
3. Their important assets are their well-researched fundamental and analytical studies, and their suggestions have benefited millions of clients.
4. The Guided Investing tool assists novice investors in investing their money through a customized set of portfolios that take into account their specific financial objectives.
5. The Investology learning website teaches beginners and new investors about stock market fundamentals.
6. They offer both online and offline advisory services, allowing clients to trade over the phone as well as meet with relationship managers for one-on-one consultations.
7. In addition to stockbroking, because they operate a financial services company, clients can take advantage of home loans, wealth management, investment consulting, personal finance, and a variety of other financial instrument-related services all from one location.
8. They are an AMFI-registered mutual fund distributor.
1. They do not provide 3-in-1 services such as trading, Demat, and bank accounts.
2. A few services, such as call and trade, are subject to a fee.
3. When compared to other stockbrokers, Edelweiss brokerage fees under the Elite plan are rather high.